Thursday, July 31, 2014

Going Back in Time

No, I'm not reading a time-travel novel at the moment, nor am I referring to the upcoming Outlander series on Starz.

After years of reading mainly historical romances set in the 19th century punctuated by occasional contemporary romances, I just started reading Isabella Bradford's When You Wish Upon a Duke, which is set in the 18th century.

I used to read a lot of 18th-century historical romances (mainly Old Skool ones where the hero was either a pirate or a highwayman).  My tastes shifted back in the 1990s, and I became fixated on the Regency era for quite a while.  As I have learned more about the history and technology of the Victorian decades, I have also come to enjoy books set later in the 19th century.

Now I am returning to my previous love for the Age of Enlightenment and its fashions. My current in-progress novella takes place in the late 18th century, about a generation later than Bradford's Wylder Sisters romances. As it happens, my novella opens in 1787, although it is set in England and has nothing to do with the Constitutional Convention. I still can't get that Schoolhouse Rock song out of my head, however. I need a new earworm to drive it out.

This should do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment